Terrouge E-zine Archives
RWNow! - Redwall Resolutions
A new year! A new decade, century, millenium, etc. A new beginning? The word is that Brian will be trying something new for his latest Redwall tale, "Taggerung". As of yet, there has always been a fairly strict modicum for the allegiance of certain types of creatures. Mice are good. Ferrets are bad. There are few exceptions (Gingivere and Blaggut, for instance) to this rule. However, with the release of Taggerung, we will see something that some of us hoped would never happen: An evil Otter. Well, perhaps not evil. He (or she) will at least be among the Badbeasts for their entire life, brought up to be the ultimate warrior. It remains to be seen what this Otter's take on life and allegiances will be, but it can be safe to say that it may exhibit some pro-vermin tendencies. So, we come back to our original query: Does this herald a new beginning for Brian Jacques? Are we to see the back of the days of long quests and vermin hordes? What's next? Magic? Romance? A return of siege-weapons (see my other article this month for more)? We can only wait and find out. However, in the interests of finding a "cure for the formula", here is a list of "Redwall Resolutions" for Brian to consider in this new beginning:
- I will try to go for a couple of books without a vindictive foe having designs on Redwall Abbey.
- I will try not to create species at my leisure (Ever seen a "Wearet"?)
- I will explain how a Squirrel with a name like "Fermald the Ancient" could have lived at the Abbey all her life, but never be mentioned in either "Redwall" or "Mattimeo" (In "The Pearls of Lutra", they mention Fermald at length, and Rollo (who we see as an infant in "Mattimeo") is present as a middle-aged bankvole.)
- I will go no further back in time regarding Martin's ancestry (or at least draw the line at "Grog the Warrior" ("Me fight vermin. Urgh."))
- I will further reveal the Abbess-ship of Songbreeze.
- I will never stop writing.
With these in mind, where can the series go but up?
NEW RW ITEMS IN THE WORKS
A pile of new Redwall stuff is on the drawing board from various sources. On the book front, Random House will be releasing a series of books entitled "The Tribes of Redwall". These will be along the lines of the Map and Riddler, and the Friend or Foe. The first to be released will be about the Badgers. It contains page after page of information regarding the Badgers of the series. Plus, as usual, it will have a beautiful full colour poster depicting the Badgers in question. It's possible that this series may also answer some questions about the Redwall World's mysterious history. Now, the big announcement! You've asked, and asked, and asked! Now, finally, an official Redwall Cookbook is in the planning stages!! It will contain recipes for many of the succulent delicasies that have graced the pages of Redwall throughout the ages. Finally, Fantastic Flans for Fans and their Families. It's going to be good. Producers have set to work on dubbing the RW video from European to North American standard VHS. It will possibly be available this year. Furthermore, be careful if shopping online! Reports have surfaced of online Bookstores selling copies of a Redwall Winter's Tale. This book /does not exist yet!!!/ I have seen a snippet of it, and it looks just great. Be that as it may, do not be suckered in by anybody who claim they have it. That's all for this month, and that's RWNow!
- Legend of Luke Paperback (USA) - March 2001
- Castaways of the Flying Dutchman - March 19, 2001 (Getting Closer!)
- Tribes of Redwall: Badgers - June 7, 2001
- Taggerung - September 2001
- A Redwall Winter's Tale - Autumn 2001
- Mattimeo TV Series - Premiered, Released, Finished in Canada. US...?
- Redwall TV Series - See Mattimeo TV Series
- Redwall Friend or Foe - Available Now!
- Redwall Video (European Configuration) - Available Now!
- Redwall Backpack - Available Now!
- Legend of Luke Paperback (UK, CAN) - Available Now!
- Redwall Cookbook - On the Drawing Board
***Next Month: Possibly an Interview with the Redcon Chief***